Thursday, June 16, 2016

Cumberland Coal Classic 2016



Coal Classic Marathon  -  By Ian Lehton, 12

This was my first marathon race and certainly won't be my last.  For those who do not know what a cross country mountain bike marathon race is, Marathon XC (XCM) is held on a course that is 60 km or more in length and does not cover the same section of trail more than once. In BC however, an exception has been made to allow races over 45 km in length to be defined as Marathon.

My strategy is to race as fast as I can without burning up all my energy by pacing.

Sunday's marathon race was hot which made it hurt a lot and you needed lots of water before, during and after the race.  Luc from the Trail Bicycles shop helped keep cool by having a dip in each lake he passed on the course!

I signed up and finished the 30 km race.  However even though I was tired, I really wanted to try the longer leg, the full course.  With the help of other racers, lots of breaks in the shade I rode the whole course including climbing over 1200 meters.

There were two food stations with watermelon, oranges, bananas, cookies and cola.



Trail Bicycles rode to some great results including sweeping the U18 women's 30 km podium, with Anja and Eva crossing the finish line together with their and mom Katie.  What a ride!

The U18 men's 50 km podium was packed with trail Bicycles' Jake 1st and Ian 3rd.

Other honorable mentions are Tristan from the shop placing 10th, and Dave N. being the quickest dad.  Thanks so much to our sponsors, volunteers and congratulations to all the finishers on this very hot day.    


Official Sponsors for 2016
  • Sew What I Sew
  • Wedler Engineering
  • Riverway Dental Inc.
  • Eatmore Sprouts and Greens Ltd.
  • Western One
  • Royal LePage - Rob Nygren
  • Airport Auto Service
  • Trail Bicycles





No comments:

Post a Comment